Compensation & Benefits
Northwest Permanente (NWP) is dedicated to the well-being of its physicians and their families. From continuing education to retirement planning, NWP provides a wide array of excellent benefits for its internal medicine, family medicine, and other specialty physicians. These generous benefits coupled with competitive salaries makes the total rewards package at NWP industry-leading.
Ours is a physician-led, professionally managed medical group. As such, NWP physician leaders evaluate, on a regular basis, national and local compensation information for each specialty. This process ensures that NWP salaries stay competitive and current.
Providing great benefit choices to you and your family is just one of the many ways Northwest Permanente looks after the health and financial welfare of the people who make us successful — the NWP physicians and staff. Our goal is to provide you with an array of benefit options that will meet your personal needs. Northwest Permanente offers physicians and their families the following:
- Comprehensive medical and dental coverage
- Basic life and accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) insurance
- Voluntary life insurance for yourself, spouse and dependents
- Disability insurance to include short-term and long-term disability
- Voluntary long-term care insurance
- Health-care and dependent-care flexible spending accounts
- Permanente Perks – employee assistance program
- Permanente Advocate Resource (PAR) – mental health and counseling services
- Post-retirement medical benefits
- Incentive programs
Northwest Permanente provides benefits-eligible physicians with a generous paid sick and vacation program, as well as paid holiday time off. NWP physicians receive the following paid time-off programs:
- Vacation time
- Sick leave
- Wellness Day
- Company holidays: New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas
- Education leave
- Sabbatical leave
- Jury duty leave
We recognize that there will be times when you may need to care for a loved one. Whether you are caring for a new child, tending to your own serious illness, or caring for a seriously ill family member, or for qualifying exigencies arising out of a family member on active duty, Northwest Permanente offers unpaid protected leaves and unpaid non-protected leaves:
Protected Leaves covered under FMLA or OFLA:
- Personal illness
- Sick child (OFLA only)
- Domestic violence
- Supplemental Maternity/Paternity leave
- Personal leave of absence
For all of its physicians, NWP provides professional liability coverage, as well as Oregon and Washington medical licenses and DEA reimbursement.
NWP also offers:
- Leadership, research, and teaching opportunities
- New-physician mentorship programs
- Cross-specialty collaboration
- Excellent career growth and stability
When physicians relocate to join Northwest Permanente, they may be eligible to take advantage of a $10,000 relocation allowance.
Physicians at Northwest Permanente have access to three plans in the company’s retirement package. Once fully vested in all three plans, Northwest Permanente physicians receive a 21% retirement benefit. For more details regarding eligibility and plan structure, please see our Benefits Brochure.
Continuing Medical Education
NWP provides up to two weeks of 100% paid education leave based on tenure and FTE. In addition, the medical group provides an education allowance to support physicians staying current in their specialty.
NWP’s CME and Professional Development Department delivers accredited courses throughout the region for physician convenience. This team also supports department-specific educational programs and leadership development.
Teaching opportunities are available in internal medicine, emergency medicine, general surgery, urology, obstetrics and gynecology, and other residency rotations. NWP is also home to the Family Medicine Residency Program, in partnership with the Oregon Health & Science University.