Internship - Undergraduate - Utilization ManagementOffice: Kaiser Permanente Bldg
Northwest Permanente, P.C. (NWP) is a self-governed, physician led, multi-specialty group of over 1,500 physicians, surgeons, and clinicians, caring for over 600,000 members in Oregon and Southwest Washington. We invite you to apply for our 2019 summer internship program. We have a full-time internship available beginning June 17, 2019 in our Utilization Management Department. This temporary internship position is scheduled for 10 weeks and is not to exceed 6 months. Undergraduate level internship work may include less involved research projects and documentation; phone communication, meeting minute transcriptions; Power Point production; social media maintenance; document and template updates; marketing material production; website updates.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES / ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
To ensure an enriched and productive internship experience, a significant long-term project must be identified. The criteria for this project are that it must take the duration of the internship, but it would not represent the intern’s sole responsibility.
Internship will expose candidate to Utilization Management and Practice Variation initiatives within NWP. The project will focus on assisting physician and administrative leaders on the I Wisely and Lab (Radiology/Lab) action teams addressing variation and appropriate use of imaging/lab ordering. Specific project outcomes to include:
- Assist in organizing a NWP Governance Group with oversight over I Wisely and LUAT efforts. This effort will expose the intern to organizational structure and senior NWP physician leaders.
- Assist I Wisely and LUAT physician chairs in organizing meetings, workplans, and communications of efforts.
- Assist I Wisely and LUAT physician chairs in developing and delivering educational materials and presentations for the medical group. A typical venue would include PLF, as well as communications in NWP on-line and email venues such as NWP Leader Need to Know and NWP Leadership Articles.
- Develop method of reviewing practice variation data (data sets and reporting already built, but need to be resed and communicated), identifying opportunities, and distributing to chiefs of service to review with department. (We currently do not have a method of “pushing” data out, and realize it is not practical to have chiefs access the data sets.)
- Assist in developing a tool-kit (variation, scripting, reference articles, etc) available to Chiefs when addressing variation within the department. Assist Medical Infomatics in designing/scripting KPHC order sets.
- Beyond project, the intern will also participate with the Utilization Management leadership team and functions, which will expose the candidate to:
- UM functions applying medical necessity and benefit eligiablity applications to treatment plans.
- Research of evidence-based-medicine function.
- Regulartory and compliance oversight of Utilization Management program, working with governmental and other agencies (e.g. NCQA, CMS, ROGQ, Oregon and Washington OICs, etc.)
- Working in multi-disciplinary teams made up by physicians, RNs, non-clinical coordinators, healthcare administrative leaders, claims, compliance, government affairs, and external/partner medical groups.
- High school diploma/G.E.D.
- A student currently enrolled in a collegiate academic program.
PAY RATE: $19.23/hr
All external hires are required to pass a pre-employment background screen.
At Northwest Permanente, P.C., we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Northwest Permanente, P.C. believes that diversity, inclusion, and equity among our employees is critical to our success and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.