Director, Talent Acquisition & Workforce PlanningOffice: Kaiser Permanente Bldg
Northwest Permanente, P.C. is a self-governed, physician led, multi-specialty group of over 1500 physicians, surgeons, and clinicians, caring for over 600,000 members in Oregon and Southwest Washington. NWP is seeking a Talent Acquisition and Workforce Planning Director to create and implement a compelling vision for our Talent Acquisition Department. This position will direct and oversee proactive and innovative recruitment and sourcing strategies. The ideal candidate would be someone who can conceptualize, develop, implement innovative workforce planning, recruitment, sourcing, diversity and inclusion and on-boarding strategies which support Northwest Permanente’s (NWP) goal of becoming the employer of choice. This role will ensure alignment of Talent Acquisition goals with NWP strategic vision through collaboration work with the Chief People Officer (CPO), Sr. Manager of Talent Management, HR Business Partner’s, NWP Board of Directors, Medical Operations Leaders, other members of the Senior Operations Team, Kaiser Permanente Foundation Health Plan (KFHP) leadership and inter-regional Permanente Medical Groups.
Recruitment & Onboarding
- Establishes goals and directs the successful execution of NWP’s recruiting strategy with responsibility for strategic design, measurement, and execution of recruiting operations and processes. Identifies, implements, and measures key performance metrics of the recruiting team, activities, and processes. Establishes methods to appropriately monitor results against targets.
- Leads and supports all aspects of recruiting and hiring of NWP physicians and administrative staff including outreach, interviewing, contracting and credentialing. Establishes and maintains a robust recruitment process that meets staffing goals.
- Strategically plans for timely hiring in difficult-to-recruit specialties through expanded outreach, customized recruitment practices and competitive financial offerings.
- Oversees the development and management of orientation and onboarding programs for NWP new physician and administrative hires.
- Partners with the Talent Management Leadership to ensure NWP’s on-boarding programs are best practice and provides an exceptional experience to the new hire as measured by surveys.
- Assesses criteria for physician and employee hiring, and implements enhancements to meet new goals, professional standards and regulatory requirements. Provides training to recruit for “fit” with criteria. Measures effectiveness of criteria through credentialing and performance feedback systems. Conducts regular surveys to measure candidate and hiring manager experience.
- Accomplishes special project results by identifying and clarifying issues and priorities; communicating and coordinating requirements; evaluating optional courses of action; expediting solutions and evaluating milestones and accomplishments.
- Leads Talent Acquisition (TA) for all physician and administrative roles.
- Ensures TA policies and practices are adhered to, works closely with others to implement changes to practices as needed to meet evolving regulatory and legal requirements.
- Effectively balances standardization and efficiency of operations with creative solutions to individual or collective client needs. Uses high degree of political and organizational savvy to ensure integrity of operations and understanding of limitations and opportunities.
- Identifies and builds on internal and external practices that are leading edge, scalable, culturally consistent and forward thinking. Leads implementation and change initiatives, ensuring successful adoption. Measures activities and provides meaningful and actionable analysis to drive continuous improvement efforts.
- On an on-going basis, measures the recruitment team's performance both individually and collectively against national best practice benchmarks. Presents these measurements to leadership across NWP with executive dashboards tailored for the Senior Operations Team & The Board of Directors.
- Responsible for creating and managing the Talent Acquisition operating budget. Allocating advertising and marketing spending based on analysis and evidence of success.
- Establishes and manages vendor relationships with temporary or locums staff, contingency and retained search firms.
- Accountable for marketing, advertising, brand management and all sourcing activities. Partners with Communications to ensure alignment.
- Responsible for managing relationships with medical schools, residency programs and linkage to the NWP GME department.
- Develops and leads NWP’s long-range workforce planning strategies in partnership with Talent Management and the HR Business Partners. Anticipates emerging talent requirements and proactively develops solutions to meet them and/or head off short-term critical talent shortages.
- Stays abreast of best practice trends on dealing with the physician shortage and partners with the Chief People Officer, Executive Director of HR and the Sr. Manager, Talent Management and Physician Leadership to socialize innovative staffing approaches. In partnership with Talent Management, maximizes affiliations with diversity organizations resulting in an increased pipeline of qualified candidates. Oversees the management and administration of the Hippocrates Circle and the Language Concordance programs.
Staff Development and Professional Development
- Develops and leads department staff; ensures cooperative, collaborative team approaches are utilized as appropriate to accomplish objectives and provide an inspiring work environment.
- Leads and supports department staff in meeting individual and group goals, providing frequent feedback to team members and demonstrates superior service to internal and external customers. Enhances team satisfaction through recognition and professional development plans.
- Participates in conferences and educational opportunities, reading professional publications, maintaining personal networks, and participating in professional organizations.
- Identifies, develops and communicates recruitment policies, procedures and training to support NWP goals, clarifies performance expectations and meets regulatory requirements.
- Establishes, maintains and monitors EEO/AA and Immigration compliance programs. Documents compliance and provides all required internal and external reporting. Ensures audit readiness at all times.
- Consults and advises NWP physicians and employees regarding contract and policy interpretation, employment practices and other workplace issues. Initiates investigations and provides consultation regarding follow-up interventions as needed related to recruitment programs.
Minimum Education & Work Experience:
- Master’s degree in Human Resources Management, Business Administration Organizational Development, Public Health, Health Care Administration or other closely related area.
- Five (5) years of experience in physician recruitment and five (5) years in a leadership / manager role in a healthcare organization.
- Comprehensive knowledge of physician recruitment best practices, human resources laws & practices, state and federal employment laws and other regulatory requirements for large employers.
- Working knowledge of contract law, labor relations, compensation and benefit design, facilitative leadership principles, adult learning theory, performance improvement disciplines (CQI, HPT) and medical operations within a comprehensive health care system.
- Effective leadership to achieve goal-directed outcomes.
- Requires strategic systems design, sound data analysis, participative/facilitative management skills, expert consultation skills and ability to promote recommendations, programs and initiatives to diverse audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with individuals and groups including Executive Leadership, Board of Directors, Department Chiefs and Leads, recruitment teams, and other internal and external customers.
- Ability to design and deliver training consistent with human resource accountabilities.
Preferred Work Experience and Qualifications:
- Seven (7) years of experience in physician recruitment and five (5) years in a leadership / manager role in a healthcare organization.
- Certified as SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP from Society of Human Resource Management.
- Customer Focus – Dedicated to establishing and maintaining effective relationships with customers and meeting their performance expectations.
- Innovation Management – Facilitates effective brainstorming, review of best practices and project how potential ideas may play out at NWP.
- Managing Diversity – Practices and supports fair treatment and opportunity for all.
- Integrity & Trust – Presents the unvarnished truth in an appropriate and constructive manner.
- Interpersonal Savvy – Builds constructive and effective relationships.
- Managing & Measuring Work – Fosters a culture of respect, development and accountability. Sets clear and measurable metrics to benchmark NWP Talent Acquisition results against national best practices.
- Organizational Agility – Knows how to get things done both through formal channels and the informal network.
- Political Savvy – Sensitive to how people and organizations function.
- Process Management – Skilled at facilitating the creation/implementation of streamlined processes which enable the Talent Acquisition team to deliver enhanced user experiences.
- Strategic Agility – Creates competitive and breakthrough Talent Acquisition strategies and plans.
At Northwest Permanente, P.C., we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Northwest Permanente, P.C. believes that diversity, inclusion, and equity among our employees is critical to our success and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.