Oregon’s Emerald City
Eugene, celebrated as Oregon’s “Emerald City,” more than deserves its colorful appellation. The state’s second-largest city, Eugene sustains a consciously arts-focused culture, a thriving economy, and an energetic outdoor lifestyle. It is seated in the verdant Willamette Valley, equidistant from the seaside and mountains, and is home to the University of Oregon. Eugene was recently honored in Livability.com’s 2014 “10 Best Downtowns” and is ranked ninth in their “Top 100 Best Places to Live.”
Eugene’s inhabitants like nothing better than to experience their beautiful natural surroundings. Urban explorers and nature enthusiasts alike enjoy a variety of possibilities for open-air recreation.
- One of Oregon’s “Seven Wonders”, the Painted Hills, makes for a visually stunning daytrip
- Farmers’ markets and street fairs around the city
- Open-air art events
- Community parks, such as the 78-acre Hendricks Park, which features old-growth trees and a world-renowned rhododendron garden
- Various natural hot springs resorts close to the city
- Fantastic ski resorts, all located less than an hour-and-a-half drive east of the city
Eugene is where Nike got its start, and is the hometown of track legend Steve Prefontaine. The city has hosted the Olympic Trials for Track and Field on multiple occasions, and its shady trails are perfect settings to enjoy a run.
Eugene’s community is saturated with a lively, artistic spirit, and there are abundant opportunities to appreciate and participate in the creative and performing arts.
- Active Public Art Program, which keeps city spaces adorned with top-quality artwork
- Free, year-round art events, such as the First Friday Artwalk
- Community art competitions and workshops for all ages
- Live concerts of every type of music, from rock and blues, to symphonies, operas, and chamber orchestras
- Stage plays by local and national theatre companies
- Modern, ballet, and many other forms of dance performance
- Dance recitals put on by the elite professional academy, Ballet Fantastique, are quintessential Eugene –creatively bold and breathtaking
Eugene’s exceptional fusion of natural beauty and creative energy lends a character to the city that is impossible to find elsewhere. In Eugene, families and individuals of all walks of life are sure to discover a place they are happy to call home. We invite you to visit our careers page to see our open job opportunities in Eugene.
Northwest Permanente in Eugene, OR
Happy 50th birthday, Kaiser Center for Health Research
Kaiser Permanente Northwest’s Center for Health Research celebrated its 50th anniversary this year. Some accomplishments include studies from quitting smoking to geriatric health to vaccine safety to controlling diabetes and Read MoreView Event
Northwest Permanente Resident Happy Hour (Nov.)
Saturday, November 04
Northwest Permanente Resident Dinner (Oct.)
Thursday, October 19
Northwest Permanente Resident Dinner (Sept.)
Wednesday, September 20
Northwest Permanente Resident Happy Hour (Aug.)
Thursday, August 17