Project Manager III
Provides planning, leadership and implementation services for major projects and/or key business processes for multiple departments. Manages or coordinates the consulting and analytical support for these projects or processes, and is accountable for the quality and outcomes of the project.
Job Post Date: 2018-02-21
Office: Kaiser Permanente Bldg
Kaiser Permanente, founded in 1945, is committed to helping shape the future of health care. As the largest integrated care delivery organization in the United States, Kaiser Permanente is recognized as one of America’s leading health care providers and nonprofit health plans. Our mission is to provide high-quality, affordable health care services and to improve the health of our members and the communities we serve.
Kaiser Permanente Northwest (KPNW) — made up of over 11,000 employees, more than 1,300 physicians, and 150 dentists — provides and arranges medical care exclusively for health plan members. In the Portland-Vancouver area, Kaiser Permanente operates 34 medical offices and 2 hospitals. Today, the Northwest Region serves more than 576,000 medical and 244,000 dental members, whose care is largely provided by Northwest Permanente, P.C., (NWP) and Permanente Dental Associates (PDA).
Northwest Permanente is seeking a Project Manager III to provide planning, leadership, and implementation services for major projects and/or key business processes for multiple departments. This employee manages or coordinates the consulting and analytical support for these projects or processes, and is accountable for the quality and outcomes of the projects.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES / ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Drive for Business Value - Planning & Scoping:
Efficiently plans and prioritizes own and others' work by drafting project engagement work plans for assigned work streams. Organizes project activities and ensures tasks are completed within project scope and budget. Provides opportunities to transfer relevant capabilities and knowledge to junior team members. Demonstrates with some oversight and sustainable with proven outcomes: Guiding work and teams to effectively achieve objectives, and outcomes. Apply project management principles and tools. Identification of project resource requirements. Project execution (results, decision making, strategic thinking, driving performance): leads project teams to high quality results.
Drives for Business Value – Issue Management and Quality Assurance (QA):
Anticipates project issues, weighs practical considerations in addressing issues, and seeks input from engagement manager/sponsor to resolve.
Applies Analytical/Critical Thinking - Strategic Thinking and Solutioning:
Identifies key issues and defines problems for analysis. Identifies better and innovative ways to accomplish goals and satisfy project expectations. Designs work and structure analyses to facilitate decision-making. Develops easy to understand frameworks to present information and ideas. Develops multiple innovative and creative solutions to solve problems. Analytical/problem solving (information gathering, decision making, strategic thinking, judgment, telling a compelling story). Defines, organizes, and directs analysis. Structures conclusions and recommendations of analysis to facilitate decision making. Demonstrates excellent analytic skills. Identifies key issues and defines problems for analysis.
Applies Analytical/Critical Thinking - Analytics:
Breaks down complex or unfamiliar issues into logical parts. Applies experience from previous projects to analyze an issue or build a solution. Uses existing or new frameworks and perspectives to organize large amounts of information.
Applies Analytical/Critical Thinking - Diagnostic Analysis & Application of Tools:
Develops an understanding of client's business and applies this knowledge to suggest appropriate approaches, tools, and techniques to tackle client problems. Analyzes data and synthesizes results to develop pertinent and insightful solutions. Uses appropriate tools and methodologies to review, design, and/or implement products and services. Changes management. Demonstrates, with some oversight, defining a change and assessing the climate and readiness for the change, developing an approach and communication plan. Presentation skills (oral presentation, written deliverables, formal facilitation). Structures, creates, and presents formal client communications that are clear, succinct, and compelling. Business Process Improvement (technical skills, knowledge of various methodologies/techniques, application of change management skills, ability to realize sustainable results). Own, to the satisfaction of peers and customers, one portion of a process improvement project. Able to develop flowcharts, research trees, and basic data analysis with little oversight. Able to develop basic current state/future state analysis with little oversight. Innovation. Creativity (identify opportunities, dynamic thinking, proactive problem solving). Open to, and actively supports new and creative ideas. Proactively identifies client needs that may benefit from department resources and identifies increasingly more valuable improvements to enhance projects and analysis.
Demonstrates Execution Excellence - Systematic Thinking & Approach:
Synthesizes analyses and highlights implications of findings. Organizes work and structures analyses to facilitate decision-making. Maintains focus on deliverables, objectives and value proposition, despite distractions and politics. Systematically reviews progress to ensure value is added/or requirements and milestones are met.
Demonstrate Execution Excellence - Design & Development of Deliverables:
Identifies requirements of "solution" to meet multi-faceted business needs and develop conceptual designs. Evaluates options with client to design deliverables that reflect client needs and intended audience. Lead the development of selected project deliverables; provides direction, meaningful input and consistent review of teamwork efforts to improve the quality of final deliverables.
Demonstrates Execution Excellence -Implementation & Change Management:
Schedules own activities based on how they impact other parts of the project. Adapts efficiently to changing circumstances and seeks alternative ways of achieving project implementation goals. Recognizes stakeholder influence and potential impact on project. Works effectively with client to plan and facilitate change efforts required to achieve desired outcomes.
Demonstrate Execution Excellence - Project Control:
Identifies and communicates any issue or risk to the project in a timely manner. Follows/enforces change control management. Ensures quality work is produced.
Manage Stakeholder Relationships - Communication:
Communicates and explains complex ideas in a concise and simplified manner. Build consensus among team members.
Manages Stakeholder Relationships - Client Relations:
Acts as a thought-partner with project team and clients to define problems, issues, and scope of work. Assist in building consensus with client management. Raise critical questions and concerns in ways that enhance the credibility of the team. Contribute valuable information and perspective based on relevant past experiences. Manages client relations including problem definition expectations, root causes and scope of work.
Maximize Team Performance - Teamwork & Staff Relations:
Create a participative work environment for team members. Consistently provides support to peers and mentoring to junior staff. Builds effective relationships with peers, clients and other departments. Provide direction to achieve desired objectives. Help create a team environment that supports the participation and development of others. Works collaboratively and effectively in a team environment to achieve high levels of colleague satisfaction. Organizes team building activities.
Maximize Team Performance - Results Management:
Provide guidance and support in career development opportunities for less experienced staff. Provide regular, timely evaluation as required for tasks and engagements. Takes necessary corrective action to keep performance outcomes on track.
Maximize Team Performance - Coaching / Guiding Development:
Provide junior staff with career development advice, support and on-the-job coaching. Motivate and encourage junior staff. Improve and provide coaching and feedback to others. Proactively participates in coaching and mentoring of team members at all levels both formally and informally.
Maximize Team Performance - Educate & Train:
Contribute to the planning, development and delivery of local education and training programs. Provide staff with on-the-job training in core competency areas.
Pursue Personal Mastery - Builds and Applies Skills and Capabilities:
Thoroughly review available information and ask questions to build an understanding of activity / assignment. Participates and applies learnings from regular reviews of healthcare periodicals, trade journals, HBR, etc.
Pursue Personal Mastery - Knowledge Sharing:
Share own knowledge to build skills in team members through extensive hands-on experimentation. Make useful contributions to the development of tools and capabilities.
Perform other duties and special projects as required.
MINIMUM EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATION
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, analytic discipline, or equivalent knowledge and experiences.
- Five (5) years managing projects in an integrated health care system or other health care setting, leading people on projects, coaching and developing their skills as needed.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; strong organizational and time-management skills; ability to prioritize work to ensure highest impact changes receive the major focus; task oriented focus; excellent analytical and problem solving skills; ability to develop and gain exceptional interpersonal skills; ability to work collaboratively with others; ability to work with minimal supervision; ability to build and maintain strong work relationships at all levels of the organization as well as to operate in politically complex situations.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills. Good written and oral communication skills. Good project management, facilitation, and team building skills. Proven ability to synthesize complex and diverse information to formulate a recommendation or course of action.
- Ability to connect with physicians.
- Strong proficiency in the use of current software, including spreadsheets, process mapping tools, project work plan tools, charts and graphs, and basic Microsoft applications.
- Able to facilitate teams and major planning events, helping groups work though significant conflicts and politically-charged situations.
PREFERRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATION
- Master's Degree in business administration, health care administration or related discipline. Thorough knowledge of NWP/KPNW Operations, Financial, and Planning processes.
- Seven (7) years of project management and/or managing a department or programs in the health-care industry.
- Project management certification
- Formal project management training with technical mastery.
- Experience in a Big Four Consulting Firm strongly preferred.
- Experience in an integrated health care system.
- Strong proficiency in the use of current software, including spreadsheets, statistical applications, charts and graphs, project management software, vision, Microsoft applications.
- Intermediate knowledge of analytic techniques pertinent to planning, finance, management/industrial engineering.
- This includes forecasting, sensitivity analysis, and financial analysis such as NPV.
- Basic knowledge of advanced analytic techniques such as dynamic modeling/simulation, decision analysis, cost benefit/effectiveness and other economic analysis, operations research.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (1:1, peer, multi-disciplinary group, presentations, written).
- Ability to facilitate project groups of up to 12 people, supporting the project leader in meeting planning, management, and maintaining good group process.
- Proven leadership skills in project management and consulting, including the following attributes: efficient, collaborative, candid, open, and results-oriented.
- Demonstrated ability to manage against multiple completing priorities of operational management customers and business process.
- Ability to design and deliver formal and informal training programs to department staff and customers on advanced consulting and analytical tools and techniques.