Program Manager: Quality & Service Pediatric Specialty
Northwest Permanente (NWP) is seeking a Program Manager to provide oversight of quality and service for our Childrens Service Line. The focus in the first 18 months will be working with our Autism Program. This position is committed to achieving family-centered systems integration of specified goals of highly visible, complex, multi-year and multi-faceted programs, focusing on change management, operations improvement, process redesign, collaborative modeling, and operations integration. The Pediatric Specialty Program Manager facilitates and provides program management for integration of programs that enhance patient flow through the care delivery system resulting in improved quality, service, and cost.
Job Post Date: 2017-09-25
Office: Interstate Medical Office West
Founded in 1945, Kaiser Permanente is committed to helping shape the future of health care. As the largest integrated care delivery organization in the United States, Kaiser Permanente is recognized as one of America’s leading health care providers and nonprofit health plans. Our mission is to provide high-quality, affordable health care services and to improve the health of our members and the communities we serve.
Kaiser Permanente Northwest (KPNW) — made up of over 11,000 employees, more than 1,500 physicians and 150 dentists — provides and arranges medical care exclusively for health plan members. In the Portland-Vancouver area, Kaiser Permanente operates 34 medical offices and 2 hospitals. Today, the Northwest Region serves more than 576,000 medical and 244,000 dental members whose care is largely provided by Northwest Permanente, P.C. (NWP) and Permanente Dental Associates (PDA).
Northwest Permanente is seeking a Program Manager to provide oversight of quality and service for our Children’s Service Line.
The focus in the first 18 months will be working with our Autism Program. This position is committed to achieving family-centered systems integration of specified goals of highly visible, complex, multi-year and multi-faceted programs, focusing on change management, operations improvement, process redesign, collaborative modeling, and operations integration. The Pediatric Specialty Program Manager facilitates and provides program management for integration of programs that enhance patient flow through the care delivery system, resulting in improved quality, service, and cost. When successful, the Pediatric Specialty Program Manager provides management of performances in a highly complex, fast-paced environment while achieving excellence in quality of care, service, access, resource utilization, employee/physician satisfaction, and workplace safety.
- Developing a master program plan and schedule to communicate and manage tasks progress and completion.
- Facilitating and coordinating planning of activities with key operational stakeholders. Builds partnering relationships with key organizations within NWP & KP to maximize the opportunity for sharing information, best practices and meets system standards. Includes hospital/medical group/health plan.
- Proactively communicating with leadership on program status, risks/implications, mitigation plans and activities; escalating issues requiring leadership involvement and decision-making, and follows through to get closure. Provides leadership to project team in managing all aspects of services that may impact or be impacted by the program.
- Providing high quality, cost-effective management, analytic and technical expertise for a broad array of issues. Integrates disparate data to achieve program goals. Provides program management to multi-disciplinary teams by facilitation and influence, and may work with outside consultants.
- Motivating team members, plans and facilitates transition meetings with team and with other assigned areas of responsibility.
- Acting as lead program planner and manager with oversight to project managers accountable for specific project deliverables.
- Accountable for the development of projects to facilitate sharing of incremental and final project deliverables.
- May assist in developing a department. Works on problems of complex and diverse scope where data gathering/analysis requires in-depth evaluation of various factors.
- Projects assigned are broad in scope and may involve multiple functional areas and/or span across service areas.
- Position will exercise judgment within broadly defined policies in developing methods and techniques for obtaining results.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES / ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Program Management Skills:
- Possess demonstrated system design and re-engineering in addition to program and project management skills with little to no oversight and sustainable results with proven outcomes (project design scoping, planning, integrated design, resource definition, time management, project control, task development.) Plan project for optimal results and speed.
- Transfers knowledge and skills to project team and client personnel. Establish processes and create effective project management tools. May supervise up to 5 projects and project managers at the same time.
- Project execution (results, outcomes, decision making, strategic thinking, promoting and supporting change.)
- Leads large project teams or multiple projects to high quality results. Integrates and manages projects across the department
- Assembles project team, proactively identifies key organizational issues, and shapes overall strategic direction of department to address, ensures that risk is within reasonable parameters
Consulting Skills and Roles:
- Firm understanding of care delivery system and opportunities for process redesigns to support the Kaiser Permanente member with understanding and acknowledgement of up and downstream processes and partners
- Understanding of Business Process Improvement (technical skills, knowledge of various techniques, methodologies, application of change management skills, quantifiable results). Provide project management to several process improvement teams to drive to measurable, significant results
- Have intermediate knowledge of and can rapidly produce current/future state analysis, flow charts, research tress, and data analysis
- Has demonstrated expertise in the basic spectrum of process improvement methodologies. Analytic/problem solving (information gathering, decision-making, strategic thinking, judgment, compelling story, persuasion, and influence)
- Define, organize, and direct analysis for undefined, complex, and politically sensitive projects. Reviews and validates conclusions and recommendations of analysis
Possess demonstrated knowledge in analytical problem-solving:
- Proactively acts as though partner to departmental team members. Appropriately challenges team with data-driven findings and conclusions
- Advanced understanding in systems thinking. Demonstrates and uses innovation/creativity (identify opportunities, dynamic thinking, problem solving)
- Identify opportunities for clients to promote innovation and facilitate meeting strategic goals
- Identify creative solutions for problems in existing projects
- Stay on top of industry changes that could be reincorporated into projects
- Create project structures that encourage creativity
- Provide oversight projects or manage large-scale project with change component
- Define change, assess climate, identify approach, generate sponsorship, ensure readiness, and develop communication plans
- Strategy articulation: proficient in identifying and translating strategy into an operating plan with measurable outcomes
- Teamwork/knowledge acquisition/culture of learning (relationship building, interpersonal skills, personal growth, career planning)
- Seeks to understand cultural norms/communication styles of team members and leverages diverse styles. Effectively adapts leadership style to meet the needs of a particular situation
- Resolves conflicts by developing persuasive solutions. Knowledge sharing/department participation
- Demonstrates an understanding of the industry and organizational environment and its impact on department objectives. Organizes key project deliverables, lessons learned, and best practices in the team standards
- Consistently shares top learning from training courses/conferences without being promoted. Assist with leadership of team in key designated areas
- Client/stakeholder relations (client management, client facilitation, client satisfaction, communication, relationships building). Oversees project work to ensure alignment with client and organizational needs
- Develops and proactively maintains contact with key clients, stakeholders and customers to facilitate departmental and project success
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Masters degree in business, health care, public administration, or related field required or an equivalent combination of education and experience in a directly related field
- Five (5) years of progressive project management experience with demonstrated proficiency in at least two of the following disciplines: business process improvement, program management, strategy development, operations research or management/industrial engineering
- One (1) year leading people on projects and facilitating committees as needed
- Three (3) years of health plan/clinical care operations processes, health plan administration, strategic planning and excellent customer service
- Demonstrated ability to bring multiple operational areas together to create a systematic design to enhance the patient care experience
- Demonstrated expertise in project management, verbal/written communication, presentation, consulting and collaborative working skills
- Able to think strategically in structuring work results and affecting change
- Excellent leadership, facilitation, and consulting skills
- Demonstrated ability to influence change to achieve measurable results
- Able to facilitate committees, teams, and planning events, helping groups work through significant conflicts and politically charged situations
- Demonstrated ability to manage against multiple competing priorities of operational management customers and business process
- Facilitate teams or groups of key stakeholders from all levels and segments of the organization, build teams, and resolve conflict
- Solve complex problems
- Influence strategic change in an organization
- Be assertive, objective, and able to confront clients with difficult issues
- Develop and execute fact-based, data-driven methodologies to help clients address strategic issues
- Perform analyses to help clients address strategic issues and achieve performance targets
- Conduct, interpret and present quantitative/qualitative analysis
- Determine the key business issues and develop appropriate action plans from multi-disciplinary perspectives
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (1:1, peer, multi-disciplinary group, presentations, written)
- Proven leadership skills in project management and management consulting, including the following attributes; efficient, collaborative, candid, open, and results-oriented
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Five (5) years of progressive experience in operational management roles in a health plan or multifaceted health care system and multi-provider setting
- Experience working with technical systems to support operational needs and to collaborate between various lines of business for an optimal solution
- Significant understanding of Northwest Permanente, its operations, culture and organizational structure on both a national and regional level
- Proficient in team building, conflict resolution, group interaction and project management
- Significant understanding of Northwest Permanente, its operations, culture and organization structure, nationally and regionally
- Mastery of Leadership Success Factors including Change Leadership, Results Orientation, Decisiveness, Confidence/Initiative, Partnership, Strategic/Systems Thinking, Service Orientation, Communication, Influence and Reward/Recognition