Practice Director (SMARTeam)
Northwest Permanente (NWP) is a self-governed, physician led, multi-specialty group of over 1,500 physicians, surgeons, and clinicians, caring for over 600,000 members in OR and Southwest WA. NWP is welcoming applications for a Practice Director to lead our Specialized Medical Ability Resource Team (SMARTeam).
Job Post Date: 2018-04-12
Office: Kaiser Permanente Bldg
Northwest Permanente (NWP) is a self-governed, physician led, multi-specialty group of over 1,500 physicians, surgeons, and clinicians, caring for over 600,000 members in OR and Southwest WA. NWP is welcoming applications for a Practice Director to lead our Specialized Medical Ability Resource Team (SMARTeam). This position provides business leadership and oversight in the provision of clinical reviews in support of front line physicians. Accountable for implementation of regionally consistent practices, processes within the SMARTeam to achieve excellence in quality of care, customer service, resource utilization, and employee satisfaction. Works in partnership with the Medical Director with and assists Sr Practice Director in providing strategic leadership to department to ensure equitable distributions of resources and delivery of high quality, cost-effective healthcare and efficient management of staff in accordance with goals, objectives, policies, and applicable regulatory agency rules and regulations.
This position will support strategic planning and oversight, in partnership with the medical director, to key regional and inter-regional initiatives, assist in definition of required outcomes and milestones, drive performance targets and monitor performance relative to targets, optimize resource utilization, participate in the development of proposals and recommendations, efficient management of staff in accordance with goals, objectives, policies, and applicable regulatory agency rules and regulations and ensure delivery of needed results for medical certification for time off work within the region and outside the region.
MAJOR ACCOUTABILTIES / ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Selects, coaches, develops with performance management of staff in compliance with requirements of EEO/AA goals and personnel policies of NWP. Ensures that staff continuously focus on identifying and implementing ways to meet/exceed quality and service targets and implement regional initiatives. Works with Director of Clinical Integration for ongoing evaluation, support, and development of clinical nursing skills.
- Performs continuous surveillance of all relevant State regulations and Federal regulations pertaining to disability related leave including: Leaves of Absence: FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act), OFLA (Oregon Family Leave Act), WFLA (Washington Family Leave Act) WFCA (Washington Family Care Act), and including other States with shared services, (HI); and the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendment Act (ADAAA.
- Responsible for the day-to-day operations by facilitating the development, implementation and monitoring of service, quality and utilization standards; continually evaluating and improving the delivery of service by initiating and promoting best practice models, and monitoring individual and team performance levels to identify areas where improvements are needed or where high performance should be acknowledged.
- Collaboratively ensures the department is a proactive leader in the industry through internal and external monitoring and benchmarking and constant updating of business strategies to reflect current and anticipated market conditions.
- Works in partnership with other KP and hospital departments to develop department benchmarks and track against benchmarks. Understands and executes on area strategy and operational needs, including gaining expertise on external market and factors in the area. Manages physician and AC professional services in partnership with the Chiefs and/or Physicians in Charge (PICs). This includes:
- Oversight of clinician resources within portfolio
- Monitor Follow up with individual clinicians and/or teams to coach them on how to improve performance.
- Train/mentor new NWP, Health Plan and labor leaders related to leadership and operational goals, objectives, tools, and systems.
- Serves as key liaison with Health Plan and Program-wide Constituencies. Represents NWP Operations in negotiations with OFN-Professional Union.
- Provide strategic analysis and business planning support to evaluate opportunities to reduce costs, improve member service, and improve quality of work life.
- Analyze and create systems to match appointment supply with demand and to create close collaboration with Regional Appointment Center to support clinic operational needs. Foster innovation in creating non-visit options for meeting member needs.
- Develops and implements appropriate reporting tools and training / communication activities within and outside the department through leadership and ensuring success of business strategies.
- Prepares special and recurring reports and analyses, internalization studies, business case development.
- Benchmark with other Regions and competitors to identify potential best practices to emulate in our Region.
- Lead rapid organizational change due to Health Connect, benefit changes, changing organization structure, growing membership, increasing emphasis on member service, and other issues impacting operations and our physicians and ACs.
- Interface between PC and Specialty & ancillary departments, identifying specific work to be done and resources needed to realize opportunities for improvements in efficiency, care experience, and work life.
- Accountable for project management, coordination, and/or facilitation for designated strategic and operational initiatives.
- Plans and executes department based budgeting and identifies priorities to best manage both internal and external costs. Monitors department finances that contribute to the overall value metrics.
- Partners with departments on both internal and external financial indicators and develops processes to ensure total capture.
- Optimize use of available information and expertise to support effective decision-making by KPNW's senior leaders.
- Contributes to effective and accurate communications, operations, and planning by conducting studies and reporting findings, and participating in special committees and/or projects.
- Directly and with Sr Practice Directors, develops and administers appropriate policies, standards, practices and procedures.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Master's degree in a Business Administration, Health Care Administration or related field OR a bachelor's degree AND two (2) years of experience in a directly related field.
- Ability to lead in a culturally diverse environment and promote culturally competent care.
- Ability to communicate effectively in written and spoken English.
- Ability to analyze, integrate and use quantitative data informed decisions about quality improvement and collaborating with clinical staff, back office staff, and team to achieve expected outcomes.
- Ability to attend to details, prioritize and complete multiple tasks independently in a fast-paced environment and following agreed upon timeline.
- Demonstrated understanding of clinical and operational processes; staff licensure/certification, clinical competency requirements and scope of practice concepts.
- Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership environment.
- Excellence in customer service, service recovery and complaint resolution skills.
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Master’s degree in Business Administration, Health Care Administration, Nursing, or related health field.
- 2 years of experience supervising staff
- Business management experience in health care setting.
- Ambulatory health care experience.
- Ability to lead and implement change management and process improvement activities.
- Ability to understand and utilize data to improve performance.
- Ability to apply process improvement and project management principles.
- Ability to manage performance, coach, and develop staff.
- Ability to establish partnerships with physician group, organized labor representatives and peers in order to create a culture of commitment to patient focused service, excellent support of physician and nursing practices, innovation, compliance and integrity.
- Ability to clearly and effectively communicate, verbally and in written format.