Executive Director: Human Resources
Northwest Permanente (NWP) is a self-governed (physician led), multi-specialty group of over 1,500 physicians, surgeons, and clinicians, caring for over 576,000 members in OR and Southwest WA. Northwest Permanente has a new and exciting career opportunity for an Executive Director of Human Resources to be responsible for leading Northwest Permanentes (NWP) core Human Resources functions. The Executive Director, with their HR leadership team, works with the Senior Operations Team and Board of Directors to create and execute Best Place to Work strategies for NWP to achieve its mission and organizational goals. The Executive Director leads with a focus on exemplary service, affordability, quality, compliance, and empowerment of physicians and administrators.
Job Post Date: 2017-09-06
Office: Kaiser Permanente Bldg
Kaiser Permanente is committed to helping shape the future of health care. As the largest integrated care delivery organization in the United States, Kaiser Permanente is recognized as one of America’s leading health care providers and nonprofit health plans. Founded in 1945, our mission is to provide high-quality, affordable health care services and to improve the health of our members and the communities we serve.
Kaiser Permanente Northwest (KPNW)— made up of over 11,000 employees, more than 1,000 physicians and 140 dentists — provides and arranges medical care exclusively for health plan members. In the Portland-Vancouver area, Kaiser Permanente operates 36 medical offices and two hospitals. Today, the Northwest Region serves more than 576,000 medical and 244,000 dental members whose care is largely provided by Northwest Permanente, P.C. (NWP) and Permanente Dental Associates (PDA).
Northwest Permanente (NWP) is a self-governed (physician led), multi-specialty group of over 1,500 physicians, surgeons, and clinicians, caring for over 576,000 members in OR and Southwest WA. Northwest Permanente has a new and exciting career opportunity for an Executive Director of Human Resources to be responsible for leading Northwest Permanente’s (NWP) core Human Resources functions. The Executive Director, with their HR leadership team, works with the Senior Operations Team and Board of Directors to create and execute Best Place to Work strategies for NWP to achieve its mission and organizational goals. This leader actively models and promotes a culture of collegiality, engagement, innovation, and ownership. The Executive Director leads with a focus on exemplary service, affordability, quality, compliance, and empowerment of physicians and administrators in alignment with organizational strategy and in accordance with industry best practices.
MAJOR ACCOUNTABILITIES / ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Leadership & Oversight:
- Provides strategic direction and oversight of the following Human Resources functions lead by his/her HR leadership team: Recruitment, CME & Professional Development, Compensation, Employee Benefits, Employee Relations/HR Business Partners, Engagement/Retention, HR Information Systems, Organizational Development, and Payroll. Responsibilities include:
- Recruitment function for all physician, administrative, and leadership positions with a focus on diversity and candidate experience. Guides the Director of Recruitment in talent development and acquisition strategies and develops productive relationships with the Director of Graduate Medical Education, leaders at the KP School of Medicine and various medical schools and residency programs.
- Onboarding, engagement and retention strategies with special emphasis on the physician engagement strategy.
- Workforce planning activities in partnership with care delivery and administrative leaders.
- Guides the HR Business Partners in building strategic relationships with department leaders, employee relations, investigations, threat management and a variety of other critical matters. The HR Business Partners remain under the direct leadership of the Chief of Staff.
- Organization wide performance management, change management, succession planning and talent identification programs and processes.
- HR Operations that include benefits, compensation, HRIS and the HR Service Center, total reward philosophies, strategies, systems and programs integrated with organizational goal of Best Place to Work and NWP culture.
- Organizational development and professional development activities to create and sustain a culture of high-performing individuals and teams and promote career satisfaction.
- Development, communication and interpretation of HR policies to support NWP goals. Ensures that HR practices are in compliance with regulatory requirements, internal policies, and relevant statutes. Consult with NWP legal when appropriate.
- Supports the VP of Human Resources & Professional Development in the integration of workforce engagement strategies such as Diversity and Inclusion, Health & Wellness, and Community Engagement/Volunteerism. Focuses on employee experience and career sustainability. Contributes to the development and execution of the Corporate Social Responsibility Plan for NWP. Promotes NWP Permanente Advocate Resources (PAR) to physicians and employees.
- Provides coaching, counsel and training to all levels of management on HR related matters and leverages his/her HR leadership team as appropriate. Proactively builds and maintains strong relationships. Models open door policy and regularly rounds on leaders, physicians and staff.
- Helps lead the development of communication and digital strategies for employees, leaders and prospective hires. Actively participates in NWP brand and reputation management.
- Promotes a technology-enabled workforce and delivers HR systems for employees and managers for benefits, payroll, training, time and attendance, recruitment, information look up and personnel transactions. HRIS strategy including innovative solutions, systems and processes.
- In partnership with the Chief of Staff and VP of HR & PD, leads annual strategic planning and workplan development for all of HR.
Partners and works collaboratively with:
- NWP Office of Legal Affairs
- NWP Financial Services and Pension Management
- NWP Regional Administration
- Care delivery and administrative leaders and employees
- Kaiser Permanente Health Plan HR, legal, compliance, risk management and security leaders
- Kaiser Permanente Labor Management Partnership leaders
- HR Leaders from other Permanente Medical Groups and The Permanente Federation
- Provides oversight and management of the HR leadership team and all HR staff. Leads, mentors, engages, motivates and develops HR team. Direct reports are:
- Director of HR Operations
- Director of Recruitment & Retention
- Director of Continuing Medical Education & Professional Development
- Lead HR Business Partner
- Establishes and manages the budget and plans for appropriate and adequate resources.
- Defines, plans and leads projects and the daily work associated with the design, development and maintenance of Human Resources programs and policies.
- Drives internal HR business processes, ensuring functional priorities and efforts are customer centric and aligned to NWP business strategy.
- Continuously evaluates HR programs and workplans, staffing, and internal customer needs and satisfaction.
- Fosters professional development so HR leaders and teams maintain current knowledge of HR best practices as well as legal and compliance issues.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Master’s degree in business, psychology, industrial relations or related field
Ten (10) years of progressive human resources experience
Five (5) years of experience in a senior management position
- Broad knowledge of all facets of human resources strategy and management including labor management
- Excellent consulting and coaching skills
- Ability to position self as credible, proactive, effective, and trusted thought partner.
- Strong conflict resolution skills; strong interpersonal and negotiation skills. Ability to lead discussions on difficult or sensitive issues to influence leaders towards achieving desired outcomes and common goals
- Strong track record of effective leadership skills including team building, performance management, career development and coaching
- Maintains an effective level of business literacy and understanding of NWP competition as it relates to recruitment, retention, and total compensation
- Effectively envision, develop, and implement new strategies to address competitive, complex business issues. Effectively manage conflicting priorities in a high-volume work environment
- Experienced at program development and project management
- Extensive knowledge of employment laws and practices
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; strong presentation skills. Exceptional attention to detail and accuracy.
- Working knowledge of HR systems and business software
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Experience in health care or medical group environment
- Experience developing and executing physician recruitment strategies
- Experience in developing and implementing retention strategies with proven record of increasing retention rates
- Coaching/facilitating/training skills and/or certification
- SPHR or SHRM-SCP certification