Documentation & Coding Educator (Apprentice)
Northwest Permanente has a position available for an apprentice level Documentation and Coding Educator in our Documentation & Coding Department. This position will be able to develop coding and presentation skills to provide training, consultation, audit and feedback to clinicians on their medical service documentation and coding to ensure that KPNW receives appropriate reimbursement and conforms to applicable guidelines and regulations.
Job Post Date: 2018-01-31
Office: Kaiser Permanente Bldg
Northwest Permanente has a position available for an apprentice level Documentation and Coding Educator in our Documentation & Coding Department.
Develop coding and presentation skills to provide training, consultation, audit and feedback to clinicians on their medical service documentation and coding to ensure that KPNW receives appropriate reimbursement and conforms to applicable guidelines and regulations.
- Research Coding guidelines and develop skills to Provide expert consultation to specialists or primary care clinicians as assigned on coding and documentation questions.
- Within assigned clinical specialties, maintain current knowledge to ensure that KPNW coding and documentation meets regulatory guidelines and audit standards utilizing the support of a Coding Educator or Coding Lead.
- Sequences all codes appropriately using coding rules and guidelines.
- Researches new diagnostic and procedure codes utilizing CPT4, ICD9-CM/ICD-10 and HCPCS codes and assigns codes as appropriate.
- Reviews and verifies component parts of the medical records to ensure the accuracy of diagnostic and therapeutics procedures is complete and conforms to CMS coding rules and guidelines under the direction of the Coding Educator or Coding Lead.
- Provide support to Coding Educator to present 20 minutes of material within a lunchtime team meeting; as well as up to 4 hours of medical specialty specific training or as part of the New Hire Clinician training team.
- Carefully analyzes and chooses educational presentation training points to emphasize; to ensure training is relevant and meets provider needs appropriately to improve or maintain, consistent and accurate provider code selection under the direction of the Coding Educator or Coding Lead
- Utilizes appropriate department resources and processes (i.e. discussions with team members) when code assignment is not straightforward or documentation is inadequate, ambiguous or unclear for coding purposes.
- Under the direction of a Coding Lead, Performs periodic quality audits of documentation and coding in EpicCare.
- Reviews and verifies information (such as POS, attending provider) to make sure the transaction of medical data is complete and accurate, under the direction of a Coding Lead or Coding Educator
- Analyzes audit results and provides summary feedback under the direction of a Coding Lead, to individual clinicians, making recommendations for improvement by providing coding education.
- Creates and maintains tools to audit professional coding service data.
- Applies consistent coding practice standards when conducting chart audits, using good judgment in preparing individualized recommendations for improvement under the direction of a Coding Lead or Coding Educator.
- Uses overall audit data results to develop topics for future department training opportunities for physician and coders, under the direction of a Coding Lead or Coding Educator.
- Shadow and develop skillset to provide on-site specialty specific training to individuals or groups of clinicians regarding documentation of services and appropriate coding of level of service, diagnoses, and procedures; including tips and techniques to help clinicians work more efficiently in KP Health Connect.
- Contributes to the development and maintenance of specialty-specific coding education materials under supervision of Coding Educator or Coding Lead
- Responds to or clarifies internal requests for coding information under supervision of the Coding Educator or Coding Lead.
- Develop system skillset to Collaborate with the KP Health Connect team and provide recommendations to develop and implement strategies to make appropriate documentation and coding more efficient for clinicians, under the direction of a Coding Lead or Coding Educator.
- Participates in development of organizational procedures and updates of forms and manuals.
- Willingness to work evenings or weekends to meet client goals.
- Perform other duties as requested.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Currently enrolled in college course work for coding and/or communication course or equivalent work experience in Healthcare field
- Must complete and attain certification within 12 months of hire date. Preferred and acceptable certification/licenses are CPC, CCS-P, RHIT.
- Ability to evaluate, analyze, compute, and summarize mathematical statistics related to medical record audits performed with ability to prepare materials to present findings, trends, outcomes under supervision of Coding Educator or Coding Lead.
- Ability to learn and comprehend importance of conducting coding audits to evaluate quality performance measures and using the findings create written reports with recommendations; and then develop skills to present education and feedback to facilitate improvement of documentation and coding.
- Gain Understanding of medical terminology, pharmacology, body systems/anatomy, physiology and concepts of disease processes during training and enrolled course work.
- Gain Understanding of ICD-9-CM, ICD-10, CPT and HCPCS and Evaluation and Management coding guidelines under supervision and guidance of Coding Educator or Coding Lead.
- Attention to detail and completeness with a thorough understanding of government rules and regulations and areas of scrutiny for potential areas of risk for fraud and abuse in regards to coding and documentation.
- Computer experience and ability to learn new computer applications quickly and independently, including: EMR(s), Microsoft Office Suite and other software programs.
- Ability to manage a significant work-load and to work efficiently under pressure meeting established deadlines under supervision of Coding Educator or Coding Lead.
- Communicates in a clear and understandable manner; exercises independent judgment; influences and coordinate the efforts of others over whom one has no direct authority.
- Attends workshops to keep abreast of current trends and changes in the laws and regulations governing medical record coding and documentation to minimize the risk of fraud and abuse and to optimize revenue recovery.
- Abides by the Standards of Ethical Coding as set forth by AHIMA and AAPC.
- Meets department standards for performance and quality - Maintains an acceptable level of accuracy rate based on monthly results.