Physicians, colleagues volunteer at Oregon Food Bank
March 3, 2017
On Feb. 23, Northwest Permanente physicians joined their colleagues to volunteer at the Oregon Food Bank. Volunteers and their family members helped to assemble boxes of food for needy families. In just over two hours, the Northwest Permanente group, along with other volunteers, assembled 21,799 pounds of food — enough for 18,166 meals.
The volunteer activity is an annual Northwest Permanente tradition, and is part of our commitment to giving back to our communities. Northwest Permanente offers a number of opportunities for physicians and clinicians to get involved, including:
- Adopt a Family – During the holidays we adopt several families and donate food, clothing and gifts.
- Annual Community Giving Campaign – Physicians and employees can donate to the nonprofit organization of their choice. KP matches employees’ contributions dollar for dollar, up to $200 per individual, and adds 15% to cover the nonprofit’s administrative costs.
- Annual Corporate Giving Program – Every year, our Board of Directors solicits charity suggestions from our physicians and chooses a qualified nonprofit to receive a donation. In 2016, the Board donated $10,000 to Salem Harvest, a nonprofit that connects farmers and backyard growers with volunteers to harvest fruits and vegetables that would otherwise go to waste.
- Hippocrates Circle – Launched in 2016, this program is designed to build awareness about physician career opportunities among middle-school students from under-represented communities and diverse backgrounds. Physician volunteers commit to six to eight hours over the course of the school year and attend a kickoff event, tour a Kaiser Permanente Medical Center with students, and attend a commencement ceremony.
- MLK Days of Service – Every January, Kaiser Permanente Northwest encourages employees to volunteer for a cause they’re passionate about. Employees are paid for their volunteer day and can choose from a wide range of activities, from medical volunteerism to sorting toys.
- Sunday Parkways – Kaiser Permanente Northwest is a proud sponsor of Sunday Parkways, an opportunity to bike around Portland with family, friends, and colleagues.